Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fitness Friday!



I am so pleased to announce that I made it to another Fitness Friday.... and by "made it" I mean.. I didn't die. Even in the midst of the thirty day shred-level 2.. I didn't die. I know.. don't hate. Jillian did the best she could, but dang it I'm still kickin!


Let's take a moment to celebrate that.


Moving on.....


*ahem*


I stopped drinking soda 10 days ago! If you know me, then you know this is a real feat. In fact sometimes in the middle of a speed walk around the golf course I can almost taste it. My mouth waters for it. I imagine sipping an ice cold coke through a straw. mmmmm! Then I get home, run down stairs and grab an ice cold........


ICE WATER! :)


That's right baby! 8 big old glasses of Ice water. I am a water-drinking-bathroom-every-2-seconds-peeing-queen! BUT I'M DOIN' IT FOR YOU! (and for me.. obviously!)


I have sat down for EVERY meal. Counted every calorie. Documented EV-ERY-THING! It's not easy for a momma on the go, but it's oh so worth it. I love that I know what I am putting in my body!


Speaking of "knowing"... that's the best part of this. I have gained SO much knowledge. I thirst for it now. Here are a few things I've learned:


1. When eating carbs the firmer or more grainy the better. With rice the firmer the rice, the higher the amylose and the harder it is for your body to turn it into blood sugar quickly. Whole grains especially those with crunchy kernels take a long time for your body to digest. Which means you stay fuller longer! White flour is extremely easy for the body to turn into blood sugar.. which means you get a quick spike in energy, and then you are hungry again. Studies have even shown that you eat more food sooner when eating "bad carbs!"


2. Cook your rice/pasta "al dente" (which means under-cooked). Again it goes along with the "firmer" the better. The more "overcooked" rice or pasta is the faster it makes your blood sugar rise! (I'm not eating any pasta at this time... and I haven't eaten any rice.. I'm trying to cut most carbs, but when I do....)


3. Include a piece of lean protein with every meal- it slows digestion!


4. Cardio + strength resistance= major changes!


5. Artificial sweetener is HORRIBLE! All you have to do is google the dangers of Artificial sweeteners, and you are swamped with sites giving information about the harmful side effects. In fact studies have shown its not even better then sugar for losing weight! Diet Coke? Not so diet! You can check out this site, or google it yourself!


I have learned even more then this, but I'll save it for next week! Its funny how when you learn one thing, you can't wait to learn more! I love that I am learning these things so young. I love that I am slowly getting healthy. I love that the slower I do it, the more apt I am to keep it off.


10 days into the "shred" and I'm still going strong. I have done it every day whether I want to or not! I'm topping that off with approx 45 min-hour of cardio! It's not always pretty. Usually I'm pretty stinky afterwards.. but I'm pushing my body!


I feel myself changing!

I feel really great.

I feel really healthy.

I feel driven.

I feel strong! :)


Another girl that is amazing and taking on this challenge is Jess. Jess is a new mother to a beautiful little boy. She started the shred yesterday! (even posting a video of herself in her underwear! Wha? I am not brave enough for that- so don't get any ideas!) She has already lost so much weight on weight watchers, that I am afraid there won't be much left of her when she's done! Since ya'll are so amazing at supporting me, please head on over and give her some encouragement! (YOU ROCK JESS!)


Thanks again guys and gals! When I say I couldn't do this without all of you, I mean it. I think of your comments and emails when I'm pushing myself. I really don't want to let ya'll down. So keep it comin' guys! ILY!!

15 comments:

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blogs said...

Support is Powerful! keep it up!:) Good for you! I'm sorry but I'm starving right now! xoxox

Annie said...

Go you!! You are a rockin n a rollin! ;)
keep it up hun! :) I plan to jump on the wagon as well...really soon!!
love al the info you shared! Thanks!!
do you track everything you do with pen and paper or do you use an online site for tracking? Not sure if I mentioned to you but I used livestrong.com - daily plate and I LOVE the site! It helps me so much and there is so much ino on there.

anywho....hope you have a great wekend. Don't blow away today, it's so blustery outside!!

Rathi said...

Yay Yay! Go.... Brittany.. really good job....

He & Me + 3 said...

YOu are doing so great. Stick with it my friend. I am so proud of you.

Jess Craig said...

we're going to do this brittany!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Congrats to you for staying with the program and learning so much.
I gave up soda about 4 years ago..I had one the other day, and it tasted horrid. Water rocks. :)
have a great weekend!

Kit Kat said...

Good job girl!!!
One fun little tidbit of health info... Agave syrup is a great natural sweetener. It has a low glycemic index, so it also doesn't spike you blood sugar! It's probably not great for you, I think it's pretty comparable with honey, but if you need a sweetener!
Keep up the good work! And don't forget to eat your fiber!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

You are such a rockstar lady!

Water is good with either lemon or cucumber in it too - gives it a little something extra if you get sick of it.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Level 3 did make me almost die! ah ha ha

Shelze said...

Congrats on making another week! I am so proud of you. If you need another place for inspiration, you can go to self.com and they have a place where you can log your activities and your meals as well. I use that in addition to daily mile. Even if I don't get to blog, I know my workouts update every time.

gram said...

good info! i need to shed a few pounds also. i have to start like yesterday. will stay in touch to learn some things from you!!
(hi to your mum)

Anonymous said...

Hey--I have something for you at my blog. Go check it out! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the shred too. I haven't been able to do it everyday because a certain little two month old is keeping me busy but I'm doing it as often as I can. Good work!