Wednesday, November 5, 2008

yes we can!

I was torn between two parts of my life yesterday. Should I go with my conservative past and vote for John McCain or should I vote for the change that our country desperately needs and vote Barack Obama? Even as I drove to the polls yesterday my heart was tugging in two different directions. Who should I vote for, and would I regret my decision?

I prayed for one of the first times in probably a month yesterday before getting out of my car. I prayed for him to lead me in the right direction and to choose the candidate that would lead our country strongly and positively. Yesterday, I voted confidently for Barack Obama.

Yesterday as I sat with five teenage girls in my work, my heart swelled with pride. As these girls some white, hispanic, african american, and mixed watched with excitement as our new president was announced. I seen tears, laughter, high fives, and smiles. I realized that not only did I vote for change, I voted for hope and inspiration. As did millions of others. It is a time for change. I may be just a little white girl from Minnesota, but my heart was filled with pride as I seen a strong, beautiful African-American man become one of the highest political leaders in the world.

I know that some of my conservative friends are disappointed, and have skewed views on our new president elect, but I hope they can some day realize what a monumental moment in time last night was. Its not just because of the color of his skin, it is the way I seen cultures, ages, and people come together. So today, even more then yesterday or the day before... I am proud to be an American, and I am so happy that I am able to raise my son in an America that is not only saying that you can be anything you want to be, but is proving it :)

0 comments: