Tuesday, May 18, 2010

pit of my stomach.

Just an average evening at home. The kids are outdoors playing, and my step dad is working in the garden. I was relaxing watching some tv after dinner. My mom is spending the night at her sisters. Nothing unusual, just another day in a small town... in my simple life.

I hear my step-dad call for the kids. He told them to head inside for a bath. I watch as Aidyn-man runs inside. I wait for the others. I send Aidyn down to grab some clothes, and don't pay attention to whether anyone else comes inside.

Then I hear my step-dad calling for my niece. Five or ten minutes passes, and he's still calling for her. I hop up to help. I walk outside, and scan the back yard. When I didn't see her, I walked into her room. She wasn't there.

With the sweetest voice I call out "Come out V! I have something to show you."

still, nothing.

I am panicking now. I run through every room. I am calling her name. BEGGING her to come out.

Nothing.

I run outside, in time to see my step dad. He's not saying anything, but his face says it all.

"I'll talk to the neighbors." I say, already turning to the first house.

I knock on the neighbors door. The mom answers...

"Have you seen "V"?
.....
The little girl who lives in that house?
....
Yes, the one with the blonde hair...
...
No? Okay can you keep an eye out?"

She followed me outside searching her yard. I followed suit with the rest of the neighbors. Soon there was a half a dozen of us searching. My stomach now feels like its in a knot! I don't know if i'm going to cry or throw up.

I search the park. Talk to a few people walking by.

No one had seen her.

I felt for the charm on my necklace. A cross.

PLEASE GOD! PLEASE let her be okay! I squeezed the pendent with my hand. I ran back to the house.

Just as I am about to cross the street I hear: "I found her. I found her!"

I let everyone know. My body still shaking and my heart beat slowing. I finally let out the breath that was caught in my throat.

I run inside and see my niece. I wanted to hug her and yell at her all at the same time. She told us that she was hiding under her brothers bed. (I'm not sure why.) We gave her a long lecture about not doing that again. We were mere minutes away from calling the police! I don't know if I have ever been more scared in my whole life!

Its moments like this that make you hug your kids a little tighter before they go to bed. Not want to take your eyes off them for even a second. Pray even harder... and thank God for the their safety!

Tonight I am just praising and thanking Jesus for this happy ending. God knows it could have been very different!

14 comments:

V said...

I'm not a mom, but I have baby cousins, and I could only imagine the horror. But you are so right, at least it had a happy ending.

Token Yankee said...

Ohmigoodness, I can't imagine! You probably felt like you're having a heart attack!

Unknown said...

So glad "V" was found.. so so scary! I felt it too, just reading this. Glad it had a happy HAPPY ending. Try to kick your feet up and relax, Hugs JENN

P.S. my MIL has two sons one is mine he he... and the other is married. She just has the two boys. You would be an awesome SIL though. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh man! My heart was beating hard reading this. I am so glad she is okay. xoxo

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, you had me on the edge of my seat...I am so glad she is ok. Silly girl.
I have to tell you though, I did this when I was about 8. I hid under my Moms bed to see if anyone noticed...and they did.

alliehallmarr said...

SO SCARY!

molly said...

awww i'm glad she's ok :-)

Riahli said...

Oh man this made my heart race...I had a BIG scare with Atty once (and lots of little ones) when we found him I fell to the ground I was shaking so hard. Glad everything is okay. :)

Another David said...

Phew! Crisis averted! One time, when I was about five or so, my friend and I went for a walk. His mom said we could go "two blocks, then turn around and come back." Being five, we had no idea what a "block" was so we just kept walking. About 45 minutes later, she pulls up in the car next to us, apparently we'd walked closer to two miles. Whoops :P

Blogs said...

I apologize for leaving last night...I read your posts but couldn't comment due to being a Mother...as you already know! This is soooo scary, freaky and sad that we have to feel that horrible feeling at some point in our lives...whether it be a nephew, niece, neighbors kid or our own...it happens more than expected....We worry way too much as it is and then to have this happen just makes us take a second look at life in general....it's too precious to lose our babies to a pedophile or some crazy a hole....scary but glad you found....goodness gracious don't scare me again please!

Brittany said...

So glad your niece is ok! What a SCARY situation to be in.

He & Me + 3 said...

We had one of those moments with Actress last Sunday. She left with my parents without telling us. Freaked us out.
So glad she was ok

Shelley said...

That's gut wrenching! I'm so sorry! I'm sooo glad she is okay though!

Anonymous said...

Glad she is o.k. I totally would have had a panic attack!