Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Where I live...

I was inspired by Krysten at "After I do". She hosts a "Where I live Wednesday." It really made me stop and think about the town I'm living in. Since I have moved around a lot, I have had the opportunity to travel and see a lot of places. Each place I've lived has something special about it.

The last few days I've been walking outside in the evenings. My town is small, and we live close to a lake. Its a few blocks over near a golf course. Last night my mother and I decided to tackle some hills. We walked a few blocks over, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.

It was so peaceful and relaxing. Any walkers we past (which were far and few between) said hi, as we exchanged smiles. The wind was blowing off the lake, and the sun was close to setting. It was just so beautiful. Not too hot, not too cold. We walked for close to an hour, and the whole time I was so appreciative for this time in my home state and with my mother.

My town is nothing exciting in terms of retail. In fact besides a handful of charming brick gift shops down town, there isn't much. About three years ago the town finally brought in a Wal-mart, which helps to pick up necessities. All and all, it is a typical Midwestern small town.

The restaurants are typical "bar food". Not bad, but not over the top good either. The local truck stop is popular for "after bar food" (lol) and you've all tasted a Mc.Donalds cheese burger, so you know theres nothing to spectacular about that either.

So now you're thinking "So no places to shop, and no places to get great food. No thank you!"

But..
wait...

There's more.

Its the fact that there is parks within walking distance in any direction.

Its the fact that people remember who you are, and greet you.

Its the local hair salon, I have gone to since seventh grade. Each hair cut is as if meeting with an old friend.

Its going out to the corner bar, and the bartender knowing what you drink. (and not being an alcoholic!)

Its sitting around a campfire with old friends.
Its taking the kids to see the ducks along the river. Feeling the breeze and enjoy their squeals of delight.

Its feeling safe watching them play outdoors.

Its the schools, where teachers REALLY care. The small class sizes, and the excitement of Friday night football.

Its the way people wave at you while your driving, even if you don't know them.

Its the warmth in the smiles, the friendly greetings, the courteous way you are treated when you are a guest.

It is the days on the many lakes, and the fireworks over the golf course.

Its all those things and so much more. It is a feeling of being home. It is the simplicity of it all. In fact, I'll take this small town living over a Target any day! :) AND if you know me.. you know that saying A LOT!

So what about you? Why do you love where you live? Big or small, its all about being "home."

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved reading this... the great towns people and hearing the love you have for them, and the town, gave me goose bumps. Sounds like something right out of a movie... LOVE IT! have a good one. P.S. I enjoyed my beautiful walk yesterday evening too... HUGS, Jenn

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I think even the smallest town has interesting things about it. I know sometimes I look around the town I'm in and think, "What am I doing here? There is nothing interesting about this place!" But if you take a really hard look you definitely find some amazing things.

Blogs said...

I've been around too! We travel so much and with his job get transfers a lot. But I appreciate every place we've been because I then have the opportunity to talk about it, recommend it! But I hate not being settled! It bothers me sometimes to not be near family...many of my meltdowns have to do with that. But overall I love where we are, been and will be! It's the people you have with you that counts!

Another David said...

Yeah, sounds like a small midwestern town, alright. It sounds nice, but not something I'd be able to live in. I need things to keep me busy. I need there to always be something going on and new people to meet. I need there to always be a part of town that I haven't checked out yet. And that's why I like DC :)

Shelley said...

Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my blog! You're too nice!

You're town sounds sooo wonderful. I love the small town feel. I get my hair cut by the same person everytime too :-)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

How sweet!

That sounds very much like our little town.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think I want to move to YOUR small town. It sounds wonderful!

He & Me + 3 said...

I grew up in a small town...but really haven't been back since I was 12. I would so love to live in a small town again. Your town sounds delightful.