Friday, April 17, 2009

Sneaky-slithering snakes and BIG BUBBLES!

I was going to do a blog about all the projects I did this week at once, but I realized it would be a REALLY long post, instead I thought I'd break them down! I hope you enjoy them! Maybe I'll do them twice a week from now on! It may give you some ideas for your little ones! This one is featuring two of my favorites. Ones a "in a pinch need something to occupy the kid-o's fast" and the other is a little more prep time, but well worth it!


Sneaky-slithering Snakes
Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
1 cup of water
1 tsp of cream of tarter
1/2 of oil


mix together to make plain white home made play dough. You could have the kids help mix, but I had this prepped before hand.

I then rolled mine into long strands, (in snake form of course) and sliced a pattern into each one. Afterwards I took red pipe cleaner and poked into the front, to be used as the tongue. (see picture below)










.





I set my oven at 350 degrees, and placed the snakes on a cookie sheet. I let them bake until the play dough was firm. I believe it took about 25-30 minutes. Afterwards I let them cool for about a half an hour.



I then used Elmer's glue to place squiggly eyes (which can be purchased at your local walmart or craft store) on my snake. Since I have limited time for each craft with my students, I did this for them, however a child could easily do this themselves!




.














After the eyes have dried, and the snake is fully cooled, you paint your snake however you like.. See examples below. :)


.
.















They turned out cuter then I thought they would, and my students loved showing them off to their parents :)








_________________



BIG BUBBLES



Since I work with young children for most of the day, and their attention span is zilch to none, we have to come up with creative ways to keep them occupied and out of trouble. This was past on to me by one of my co-workers and I thought I would share it with you as well! :) enjoy

What you need:
a cup or a bucket
a straw
dish soap

Fill a cup or a bucket full of water, and then place a good amount of dish soap in. Mix it up, with your straw, and start blowing. (like you did in your milk when you were in kindergarten) If you keep blowing it will cause tons and tons of bubbles!

It is an easy distraction for the youngens! I blow a whole bunch then I hand some to each student. They love hitting them, and get such a kick out of the whole thing. Its the one activities we do that all the students stay around the table for!

Keep in mind this activity does get VERY wet! So keep a towel handy, and be prepared that theres no way you or your students are getting out of this activity dry! PERFECT FOR SUMMER :)!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Your such a great teacher! Keep up the great work. The snakes look pretty cute but you know me and snakes. I would do the one with the straw and the bubbles but I could so see little man or little lady sucking in instead of blowing!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What sweet projects...my girls STILL love to blow and play with bubbles.
The snakes...very cute...much cuter than the ones in my dream last night!!!

Big Hair Envy said...

Such cute ideas!! I taught pre-school (about a hundred years ago), and then enjoyed those same activities when my daughter was little (again, about a hundred years ago!!!). I LOVE the way that little ones are so easily amused:)