Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dear Aidyn,

Dear Aidyn,

I picked you up from your Dad today.

I love the way you rush to me, so excited to see me.

You hug me with the passion and excitement only a child can have.

You held my face and told me I looked pretty.

My heart swelled as I kissed your cheeks.

Once in the car, I cranked the heat and listened to your three year old rambling.

You talked about hunting with your dad.

You talked about church.

You talked about Sadie, your puppy.

Then you talked about "her".

Daddy's girlfriend.

I can tell even at three you struggle with wanting to like her, and wanting to be loyal to me.

You test the waters, to make sure its okay.

I want you to know that it is.

I want you to know that just because you like her, doesn't mean you dont love me.

I know you do.

Just as I love you.

I do not feel threatened.

My place is forever set.

You finished by saying:

"You are my mommy... and I am your son... thats how it works!"

I smiled, both hands on the steering wheel, with tears in my eyes, and said "Thats exactly how it works."

Nothing will ever change that.

Lots of people will come into your life..

Some will stay,

and others may not.

But you and me son..

well thats a forever thing....

and "Thats just how it works!"

I love you baby!

To the moon and back,

Mommy

23 comments:

Rebekah said...

What a sweet boy! You will always be his mom and even at this young age, he knows that no one will take that place!

Copyboy said...

You're a mom always and forever! Besides, who's going to tell embarrassing stories to his future wife.

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest letter i have ever read!!

Eschelle Westwood Mumfection said...

*tears* that was just so lovely i'm crying.

becca said...

Awwww.
I like this.
And I like your new profile photo, of the two of you :)

Hannah said...

From the child of divorced parents - it never gets easier on us. We always will feel a loyalty for our mothers and never ever want to replace them. But even worse, we never want our mothers to feel like they're being replaced. You will always have the most special spot in Aidyn's heart.

This is a beautiful letter.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Aww! What a sweet, sweet message to Aidyn!!! :) He sure does love you!

Miss Chelsea said...

So sweet. Aidyn is so lucky to have all of your blog posts to look back on when he gets a lil older!

Renee said...

Offering that support system to let him know it's ok to be friends with the new girlfriend is the best thing you can do! I was older when my parents started seeing other people, & because things were so hostile with them, it was really awkward for me at times. Looks likes Aidyn won't have to worry about that!

Lindsey said...

That is just precious.

sssdawna said...

i wanna cry!! i love your letters to aidyn :' ) why do you do this to me, brittany??! it's too early in the morning to cry!

lol.

Jessi said...

Aww, I teared up reading that.

So so sweet.

Jillian said...

Goosebumps!

You are a wonderful mother to have raised your son so well already at such a young age.

You should be so proud of yourself.

Melanie said...

Such a sweet and moving post! Being a mom is forever..your son is a very smart little boy!!

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

This tugged at my heartstrings a little :) You're such a great mom, and have such a sweet little boy :)

Dancy said...

Love it. And I have a sign that says that hanging in my kitchen "I Love You The Moon & Back" - best book ever.

Blogs said...

awwww.....stop making me cry my dear::)

Lily Dawn said...

aww, thanks for making me tear up =)

That is so sweet, and I am so glad that our places as moms are set- no one can ever take that special love away from us!

ag. said...

Oh this brings tears to my eyes! Having grown up with parents that aren't together, I know how real that struggle is. You have such an amazing attitude towards the situation you are in and the love you have for Aidyn shines through in every post you write. He is one lucky little man who will most certainly cherish you more and more as he gets older!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, so very sweet.
You DO have the best little man ever.

Jessica said...

I hope he know what a great mom he has. You are the sweetest!

Jen said...

This is just adorable :)

Anonymous said...

So sweet. So, so sweet. You made me tear. I love little boys. ♥