Saturday, September 11, 2010

Motherhood!

There were moments when I first became a mom that I doubted myself.

I thought that I was doing everything wrong.

During the middle of the night feedings, and the lack of sleep I resented him.

How could I resent this perfect little child?

It was supposed to be perfect right?

Like the movies?

I cried beside him while he cried.

My colicky baby was not what I had bargained for.

It was not easy.

It was hard.

I was doing it alone.

I remember one night in particular. I brought Aidyn up to my mom. I told her to take him. I told her I couldn't do it anymore.

I felt like a huge fat failure.

I felt like the only person in the entire world that felt this way.

Everyone else seemed to be pulling it off.

Why couldn't I?

It is days like that in which I wish I could go back in time and watch this video:

I receive a lot of sweet comments from all of you raving about what a good mom I am.

I want you to know that sometimes I am NOT a good mom.

I have to say sorry, A LOT.

Sometimes I have NO idea what I am doing.

Motherhood is not perfect.

Those of you who are mothers know this.

Those that are about to be mothers, SHOULD know this.

Those that are thinking about becoming mothers LISTEN to this.

You will NOT be a perfect mother.

But you will try.

Thats all that matters!

The "true love" we, mothers, talk about is the fact that your child will love you no matter what! Even if you screw up! Even if you buy the wrong cereal. Even if you tell them no. Even if you cuss when you step on a Monopoly piece while going down the stairs with a basket of laundry!

Even if....

They STILL love you!

Thats the best advice I can give.

14 comments:

Syndal said...

i had to share your post with my sister! you're awesome.

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

You said it perfectly. You are not the only one =] I cried so many times when my husband was deployed and my son had colic too. It's such a lonely feeling. Yet I remember it like it was yesterday.

Unknown said...

All of us Mommies are with YOU BRIT. You are never alone, and we have all and do feel this way at times. Many times!!! It doesn't matter if you have
1 or 10... you, if any probably make more mistakes with more!I always thought that I was a better mom with ONE~ way more attentive and clung to every sound and word... Now I am like GO PLAY! HA! I am going to watch the video now. Happy day. Jen

Unknown said...

That was Beautiful... wiping tears.... My favorite one was the one that said
"You are about to fall in love!" I burst into tears!!! Truly that is what parenting is all about. All the stressful restfull tired days and nights. The tantrums messes, healing, mending, etc. THE Truth is- You are in love with them as soon as you find out you are carrying them! ;)

Amber said...

AMEN! That was beautiful! So true. Parenting is so tough sometimes but it is rewarding beyond anything I can imagine. Coming home from class to "I wub you mommy. I missed you!" makes me realize that putting myself though hell right now is all worth it--i want to give her the world---and have her grow up to understand it as best as anyone can. It is NOT easy to be a mom yet alone a single mom, and you rock the socks off at it. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

And that is the best advice you could give. Couldn't have said it better myself. xoxo

Lori said...

Perfectly said dear daughter. You are a good mother. Like me you are not a perfect mother. Like me you wear your failures or mistakes around your heart. You are a good mother because you know the times you have to step away. You are a good mother because every day, no matter how tough it is, you get up and do what you need to do to be the mother to Aidyn that he needs to be. XX

Sarah said...

You are a good mama! And Aidyn needs it so keep your chin up!! All moms go through this! Love you girl! P.S Cute hair!! (:

Debbie said...

very true post!! One of the things that defines a good mother? being able to say you are sorry! we do mess up alot...we are not perfect! We are the best we can be for our kids and thats all we can do..

He & Me + 3 said...

That is a great video. Girl we have all been there. I wish someone had told me how hard being a mother really was...but I am so glad that my kids forgive my mistakes and still love me. I am so not perfect.

Anonymous said...

This is so great! Thanks for posting this. I am going to post this on my blog too! I think that we all need to know we're not the only ones feeling that way. Motherhood is the most challenging job...I feel like I'm failing all the time. It's important to remember that it's ok to not be perfect. I love the one that said being imperfect is the new perfect! So great! Thanks for this!

Tylaine said...

You are a good mom. Noone ever said good moms don't lose their temper.....they just learn from it. Great advice!

More Than Words said...

Yes, so true!! None of us are perfect. And our kids love for us is so unconditional!!

Blogs said...

no body will ever be perfect...we have flaws and make many mistakes but we're human and we're meant to do so...love this..because a mother who knows that she is far from perfect is perfect to me:)