Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MARY KAY 101

I mentioned earlier in the week that I started selling Mary Kay.

I am actually SUPER excited about it.

I don't know how good I'll be, but I am definitely going to enjoy the discount on product.

Monday was my first MK meeting.

I left late.
Kissed my crying-screaming-only wanting mommy little boy goodbye


Had to get gas.

Grabbed the wrong purse.

Forgot my papers.

Finally got on my way when...

The car breaks down.

WHA?!

I was already late.

I called my (almost) director who is AH-MAZE-ING.

She stops to get me.

I leave my car, with plans for my step-dad to help me pick it up later.

We arrive at the meeting.

We weren't SO late.

She sits me next to another "new girl".

It felt semi-high school to me.

Everyone goes about their business, and I try and make conversation with this girl.

It was awkward.

She asked me the same questions over and over.

APPARENTLY she wasn't listening to my responses.

Eventually I gave up.

After a very long awkward silence I mention that I have a kid.

She looks at me.

Smiles.

and says...

"So what year are you in HIGH SCHOOL?"

WHAT?!?!?!!

My eyes bugged out.

I uncrossed my legs and turned to look at her.

Maybe a little too snotty I snorted out "I'm 23!"

She looks a little embarrassed..

fidgets in her seat, and mumbles an apology!

After we both recovered it was time for us to "go up front".

It felt similar to having to introduce a new kid on the first day of school.

My director introduced us, and before letting me do my thing she informs everyone of my car trouble.

chuckle-chuckle here and there.

So then she asks me...

"What are you most excited about..?"

and I said..

"Well, as some of you mentioned earlier, the thing you love most about Mary Kay changes. Well as I was sitting on 71 waiting for Shandra to pick me up, I realized that one of those pink cars ya'll hand out sounded pretty darn good in that moment."

and of course I finished it off with a classy...

"And of course I love the product, and all of you.."

and TADA

Everyone laughed, and embraced me into their group.

Its sort of like high school.

Kissing butt, gets you far.

And I am NOT above kissing butt.

So there you have it.

I survived my first meeting.

I am officially a MK girl.

Without the suit, bright lipstick, or pink car.

but..

maybe some day :)


a girl can dream, can't she?

15 comments:

Rebekah said...

Girl that is so cool! I used MK a long time ago. I hope you love selling it!

Elizabeth said...

Good luck!! You should sell it on your BLOG!! I would totally buy from you!!

sssdawna said...

they hand out cars?? lol

good luck to you!! thanks for sharing this experience : )

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

I know you'll do a great job! I have MK Faves - Creme lipstick in Downtown Brown, Tinted Moisturizer, and I love the Velocity Moisturizer!

Good luck, huN!

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Oh what a morning!! Best of luck with everything!! Mary Kay has some awesome products!

Greta said...

That is so awesome. Love reading your blog! Check mine out if you get a chance :)

Bree said...

Awesome! Work for that car! haha And have fun while doing it ;)

Jennifer B said...

I also sell MK! But, I have to admit that I don't work hard for it. I have basically made my start up cost back plus a little more and that's it. I hope they explained to you how the money works!!

Jillian said...

yay!!!! You go girl. I have alwasy wanted to sell mary kay

Sammy said...

oooh how fun! happy selling

i hope you get one of their pink cars! i always thought that would be awesome to have a pink caddy! :)

Aimee said...

Aww car troubles are the worse. I hope that it is okay.


Selling MK sounds super duper exciting. Best of luck with it. I am sure you will do amazing because you are so personable and awesome

Dancy said...

Cool! I don't know any MK sellers, so if I need anything I'll def. come to you. ;)

Debbie said...

you will be great!!!!!

jules said...

Good luck. Sounds like a stressful start, but you totally handled it with class and humor!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Good luck!