Saturday, September 18, 2010

Creepy Crawly Spiders!

I've caught the "Halloween" bug.

or should I say the Halloween "Spider"!


Earlier this week, we created creepy-crawly spiders!
Check em out:

Want to create your own?
Here's what you'll need:
1 C salt
4 C flour
1.5 C Water
Black paint
googly eyes
pipe cleaners
glue gun


First we made our clay! We mixed 4C flour, 1 C salt, and 1.5 C water in a big mixing bowl. Then we used our hands to knead it together like bread dough! When it resembled bread dough, I separated the clay into four pieces.

I gave each child and myself a piece of the dough, and instructed them to roll it into an oval.

When our four DIFFERENT ovals were created, I helped them put four pre cut "spider legs" into each side. For the spider legs I took two pipe cleaners. Each pipe cleaner should make four legs.

Once our legs were set, I placed them in the oven at 300 degrees. It took approx a half an hour, but they could have stayed in a bit longer! You should wait until they are starting to get golden brown.

When they cooled we painted them black. Don't worry if the paint gets on the legs, it made the spiders look extra creepy!

When the paint dried, I added extra large googly eyes to the front to finish it off!

and TADA!
CUTE-CREEPY-CRAWLY-SPIDERS!!!

*You may also want to secure the legs a bit with some hot glue! I place a little dab in each leg as they were cooling! It seemed to do the trick!

Aidyn loved this project, and promptly named his "Tootie-fa-frootie"! (where does he come up with this stuff?!?)

Now check out the faces Aidyn makes while displaying his latest creation:





MAN! I love this kid, and that smile! :))

7 comments:

Blogs said...

those are super cool! he's so funny! love it! I'll be getting into the Halloween spirit shortly!:)

Aimee said...

I so need to get into the Halloween spirit. These are super cute

Aidyn is a doll!!

Unknown said...

how fun!!

jill said...

he is sooooo cute! love the spider project! corbin better like crafts cuz i see us doing this fun stuff together in the future too! :)

Hannah said...

<3 his cute little shirt!

Go Gators!

Unknown said...

These are super cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Super cute! You could really freak people out with those if you place them in the right places!