Monday, June 21, 2010

Story time Monday..

**I just want to write. So I'm going to.. Its fiction.. I don't know where its going.. but here goes nothing..**


The water tickles the tips of my toes. I stand at the edge of the sand, looking out at the vast amount of water in front of me. All around me people are screaming, laughing, and plunging into the waves. I want to smile, but my lips stay locked in a straight line.

I walk up to my ankles, and scrunch my toes into the mixture of sand and sea shells. I wonder where my life is going, and why on such a beautiful day my heart is full of sadness. The hot sun beats down on my back, and I realize I forgot to put sunscreen on.

Typically I'd return back to my blanket to coat my back with the white lotion, but today, I don't care. I pray the sun will scorch my skin so that it will distract me from the pain that I feel inside.

I look up at the sky and see pure blue with flecks of white here and there. I realize today is a perfect day. I kick the water with my big toe, before turning around to sit on the sand. I close my eyes and think about everything that has changed.

I booked a flight the day I found out. I knew that I wanted to be as far away from Iowa on the big day as I could. In our small town, it would be impossible to get away from the church bells, or the sound of cans scratching the concrete as their car pulled away. Maybe they'd be in my head, but the thought of being in ear shot of either made my stomach turn.

As I boarded the flight, with only a carry on full of bikinis and sandals, I smiled. Maybe for the first time in months. I breathed in one last cold breath of winter air before I stepped on to the plane. I couldn't wait to shed the thick layers of winter clothing. I wasted no time, shoving my winter jacket in the storage area above my seat. I checked my ticket before sliding myself into my spot near the window, pulled out the latest edition of vogue, and shut the gray screen. Goodbye winter. Goodbye snow. Hello sunshine.

To be continued..

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Love this! I felt like I just sat down with a new book....

wish I could turn the page and see what happens next!!

~Tom~ said...

Ok I am going to digress into being a typical male here. Nothing but bikinis in the luggage? And you want sun and perfect beaches? You do know I live on an island right?

On a more serious note, there is nothing like walking along the ocean shore and having waves lap at your ankles while you toss your cares into the sea. I have done it many many times. I almost always works. For the times it doesn't, if you know where to walk there are nude beaches that are the best distraction.

I will await the next chapter in your story.

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is awesome!!!!!
Keep on Britt!!

Tylaine said...

That's an awesome story Brittany!
I can't wait to read the rest! :)

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep writing! :0

Another David said...

Looking forward to the next installment :)

Mormon Surrogate: I'm not the mom I'm just the stork said...

LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to read more....