Monday, July 12, 2010

Storytime Monday page 3

This is just a piece of fiction I've been working on. You can read page 1 here and page 2 here.

Page 3:

I slipped the money through the window, and waved goodbye to my tanned skinned cab driver. He tipped his head in thanks, and backed up and away in one smooth movement. I watched him leave, wondering what it would be like to live in a place this beautiful.

I stood there looking out of place with a winter jacket slung under my arm. I couldn't wait to ditch it and change into something more fitting for my surroundings. I followed a sign for check in, and I was soon in a cheery yellow lobby. Bright green palm tree leaves decorated the corners, and men and women in tropical button ups and dresses waited, with smiles pasted on their face at the front desk. I waited behind a man with khaki shorts and a button up. His eyes met mine, and we smiled at each other.

Just as I was thinking "This might be a fabulous vacation after all". A woman walked out of the lobby bathroom. She crossed the room and touched his arm. His eyes drifted away from mine, as he placed his hand on her lower back. I heard her start rambling on about all the things she had booked for them. Top of the list was scuba diving, and a hiking tour through the mountain rainforest..

I laughed inside, and I wondered if he knew he'd have had more fun with me.

I may be a bit bitter these days, but the one thing that I am not is rigid. I never over book, I always go with the flow, and maybe if I had held on a bit tighter, I would have made a fabulous wife.

That being said, I was the one going on a vacation alone. That thought put me in my place, and at that it was my turn to check in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, you have the power of mystery too!

Kimberly @ Bookmark To Blog said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you have a great day!

Shelley said...

I'm loving this story so far! You gotta write more!

Busy Bee Suz said...

There is a fine line between holdint tight and letting go.
:) Great job.

Kit Kat said...

Enjoying your story! So glad that you are making time to write som fiction!

Lori said...

Good job honey!