I am so pleased to announce that I made it to another Fitness Friday.... and by "made it" I mean.. I didn't die. Even in the midst of the thirty day shred-level 2.. I didn't die. I know.. don't hate. Jillian did the best she could, but dang it I'm still kickin!
Let's take a moment to celebrate that.
I stopped drinking soda 10 days ago! If you know me, then you know this is a real feat. In fact sometimes in the middle of a speed walk around the golf course I can almost taste it. My mouth waters for it. I imagine sipping an ice cold coke through a straw. mmmmm! Then I get home, run down stairs and grab an ice cold........
ICE WATER! :)
That's right baby! 8 big old glasses of Ice water. I am a water-drinking-bathroom-every-2-seconds-peeing-queen! BUT I'M DOIN' IT FOR YOU! (and for me.. obviously!)
I have sat down for EVERY meal. Counted every calorie. Documented EV-ERY-THING! It's not easy for a momma on the go, but it's oh so worth it. I love that I know what I am putting in my body!
Speaking of "knowing"... that's the best part of this. I have gained SO much knowledge. I thirst for it now. Here are a few things I've learned:
1. When eating carbs the firmer or more grainy the better. With rice the firmer the rice, the higher the amylose and the harder it is for your body to turn it into blood sugar quickly. Whole grains especially those with crunchy kernels take a long time for your body to digest. Which means you stay fuller longer! White flour is extremely easy for the body to turn into blood sugar.. which means you get a quick spike in energy, and then you are hungry again. Studies have even shown that you eat more food sooner when eating "bad carbs!"
2. Cook your rice/pasta "al dente" (which means under-cooked). Again it goes along with the "firmer" the better. The more "overcooked" rice or pasta is the faster it makes your blood sugar rise! (I'm not eating any pasta at this time... and I haven't eaten any rice.. I'm trying to cut most carbs, but when I do....)
3. Include a piece of lean protein with every meal- it slows digestion!
4. Cardio + strength resistance= major changes!
5. Artificial sweetener is HORRIBLE! All you have to do is google the dangers of Artificial sweeteners, and you are swamped with sites giving information about the harmful side effects. In fact studies have shown its not even better then sugar for losing weight! Diet Coke? Not so diet! You can check out this site, or google it yourself!
I have learned even more then this, but I'll save it for next week! Its funny how when you learn one thing, you can't wait to learn more! I love that I am learning these things so young. I love that I am slowly getting healthy. I love that the slower I do it, the more apt I am to keep it off.
10 days into the "shred" and I'm still going strong. I have done it every day whether I want to or not! I'm topping that off with approx 45 min-hour of cardio! It's not always pretty. Usually I'm pretty stinky afterwards.. but I'm pushing my body!
I feel myself changing!
I feel really great.
I feel really healthy.
I feel driven.
I feel strong! :)
Another girl that is amazing and taking on this challenge is Jess. Jess is a new mother to a beautiful little boy. She started the shred yesterday! (even posting a video of herself in her underwear! Wha? I am not brave enough for that- so don't get any ideas!) She has already lost so much weight on weight watchers, that I am afraid there won't be much left of her when she's done! Since ya'll are so amazing at supporting me, please head on over and give her some encouragement! (YOU ROCK JESS!)
Thanks again guys and gals! When I say I couldn't do this without all of you, I mean it. I think of your comments and emails when I'm pushing myself. I really don't want to let ya'll down. So keep it comin' guys! ILY!!